Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Back from the Big Easy...

Honestly, this little trip was more than I thought it would be. We did so much in just 4 days! New Orleans was so inspirational, I took notes for at least 5 new paintings and sketches. I have new artists to add to my "LISTEN EVERYDAY music" list (thanks pandora!). I do have to say Bourbon St. is some crazy partying. As in, it's monday, it's before noon, and yet people (of literally all ages) are drinking the infamous hurricanes and hand grenades (which I didn't try... looked like a green slushie). Preservation Hall Jazz band was amazing and how ironic that we found a RUSSIAN poster inside the hall about when the band visited the Soviet Union to perform (love that!). Of course, the food was delicious, the people laid back, the tourists swarmed the streets, the poor areas stood out (I guess like everywhere else) in contrast from the lovely and charming French Quarter (even though it was itself falling apart). We braved 2 thunderstorms and the hot scorching sun with 90% humidity (made me REALLY appreciate San Diego and Los Angeles weather). One thing I loved was that clubs and bars were filled with people of ALL ages, which is not something I see in Los Angeles where its way more age segregated. It was funny, we found ourselves more often in the blues and jazz clubs with an older crown as the majority. That's not saying the dance clubs with the crazy girls clinging to mardi gras beads weren't fun too. On that topic, we saw some freaky stuff. Two things I'm not going to miss: Being dripped on when walking under awnings (found everywhere!) and mosquito bites. Here's a little list of some favorites:
  1. Dancing with my love, lots of dancing
  2. Beignets covered in mounds of powdered sugar
  3. The Funky Pirate Blues club!! Big "Al" Carson and that other guy... amazing on stage
  4. Sweet Tea... I might consider putting sugar in my tea again (I haven't done that for at least 5 years)
  5. Jambalaya and Andouille sausage
  6. Local beer
  7. Gorgeous balconies with basically a garden of plants covering them and the old world buildings
  8. French horns part of every band
  9. That random guy with the amazing voice standing next to our cafe and singing "Wade in the Water" (one of my favorite songs)
  10. Being surrounded by some of the craziest, wildest people ever (of ALL ages... I'm not talking only college kids here).


But really, I can't put everything we saw/did/experienced into words. I'll post some proof soon! :-}

Oh and...
Dear Airplane snacks,
Thank you for being my sad excuse for a lunch at work. Since I'm not mentally present after a tiresome airplane ride back, there was no other choice but you in the morning. Too bad you guys are all so bite-size. Really, even for a three hour ride, you are just too small.

1 comment:

  1. Ah I wish I could have gone with you! I didn't get to do stuff like dance etc. because everyone I was with was not of age. Another time, another time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin